Monday, September 13, 2010

Can-do the-Laddooo!

I have to risk a repetitive title to make two points - One of the "Kaddoo" (pumpkin) already made elegantly by my mother, and one of "Laddoo"that I am making today!
Husband asks if there is any similarity in the two words.. Linguistically no, but I suppose if there is, then perhaps this will be known as the "Dooo-day", the day to make happen.

Laddoo's are as colloquial and quintessential to India as PBJ's to 5 yr olds in the U.S.  Halwai's as sweet vendors are traditionally known, prepare heaps of these for festivals, weddings and holy Tuesdays. There is never an excuse needed for Laddoo's, they are always consumed in all their glory without guilt.




Considering the "love handles" I live with, I cannot consume the traditional laddoo's without guilt, so I made the laddoo my own and it embraced me too! You can make it vegan if you skip the ghee, which I added purely for awakening childhood memories in my olfactory's!


1cup almonds
3/4 cup cashews
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup dates
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)
1/4 cup Agave
1/4 cup warm water
2 tbps of melted ghee (optional)
Pinch of Saffron (optional)
Pinch of Cardamom powder (optional)


In a food processor, grind the almonds, cashews and walnuts one by one to a coarse powder, not too fine but just enough to make a dough but also taste some texture. Combine with the flax seed meal and set aside in a dish.
In the food processor, add the dates, raisins, agave, saffron, cardamom powder and puree to a thick paste. Add to the existing mixture and with your hand, mix it into a dough. Slowly add the warm water and the ghee to make the dough. Make small round portions by hand and roll it into shapes / size of your preference. Roll them in the flax seed meal to finish.

et Voila! We have the healthiest laddoo's, sans sugar with only health benefits! Add it to your breakfast or dessert, I have it for both :)

No comments:

Post a Comment